List of "user-level" root commands?

Hi all;

We are deploying Linux on developers' desktops and undergoing a review
of what sort of security model we need.  Since these are developers they
have the knowledge and often the need to customize their system in
various ways that require root access as they use it during their
development efforts.

One idea being floated is that, instead of giving users full root
privileges to their desktop, they be allowed to run a well-defined set
of commands via "sudo".

Obviously this now pushes the battle down into the trenches of exactly
what commands constitute this set, with the tug-of-war between the
developers' need to manage their desktop, the security team's need to
keep things secure, and IS's need to keep a maintainable environment.

So, I was wondering if other folks here have gone through this exercise
and have lists of commands that they allow for sudo, that works for
them; or any advice on this.

Thanks!