Re: How to sniff for VLAN packets on Redhat 9 - RESEND

you need to check that the nic driver you use is 802.1p/Q capable, or you
need to get an updated version (i did it for the tulip one, it mainly
consists in accepting longer ethernet frames)

set up your eth0 interface without an ip

eventually set up vlan interfaces with "vconfig" and physical device eth0,
at least one to check connectivity

then try "tcpdump -i eth0" or "tcpdump -i eth0 -vlan x"

this will work as expected if your switch forwards traffic to your machine,
with tagged frames. having defined vlans on your switch doesn't imply that
all frames are tagged. try to define the port on which you want to run
tcpdump as a trunk, this should tag all frames at least to tell about their
originating vlan

hth