Re: CPIO - this should be simple - right !

On 18:34 08 Oct 2003, Distribution Lists <dist-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I'm trying to restore subdirectories with CPIO
| I want everything under /cvsroot restored, I'm using
|
| cpio -iuvdB /cvsroot < /dev/nst0
|
| but not luck
|
| I used
| cpio -iuvdB /cvsroot/* < /dev/nst0
|
| but just restored files under /cvsroot
|
| What's wrong ?

I'm guessing /cvsroot wasn't empty when you said that. So "/cvsroot/*"
got expanded and thus cpio saw an explicit list of things to extract. Try
quoting the pattern to prevent the shell expanding it so that cpio gets
a nice untouched "/cvsroot/*" string, thus:

	cpio -iuvdB '/cvsroot/*' < /dev/nst0

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to
Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my
own devising, and a serious attitude problem.   - Rick Moen