Re: Can boot from floppy but not from Hard Disk

 --- Srini Amble <samble@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I have
loaded RH7.2 on dual Xeon server with Promise
> RAID. I followed
> the directions as given in the "Linux ATA RAID
> HOWTO" for RH 7.2.
>
> When I try to boot off the Hard DIsk the kernel
> hangs. The meesage I see
> on the console is:
>
> "request_module [block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or 08:02
> Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:02"
>
> I can proceed to boot the server using the boot
> floppy. Could someone
> please point me in the right direction to resolve
> this issue?

I had a similar problem the other month and asked in
the list on how to get grub installed in a partition
(you should be able to search the list and find those
answers).

I think this is what you'll need to do, since from the
looks of things grub (or lilo) can't find the master
boot record, so you have to install it and specify it.

Michael.

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search