Re: Data Replication

Chris Purcell <redhat@xxxxxx> wrote:
> We don't know Oracle here and its way too expensive.  Its not
> possible at this time to migrate to any other databases.  All we
> need is a piece of data replication software that will mirror a
> partition across a network. Here are some links I found in Google
> that might work....
>
> http://www.constantdata.com/products/cr.php
> http://nbd.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

In my experience, rsync is useful, but doesn't really get the job done
if you have a lot of files and require things to be kept up to date
very often. NBD only really works for servers with the same layout,
hardware, and filesystems, and even then only if they are connected
via a fast network (on a lan or something). It's also pretty fragile,
as you end up with more single points of failure. I don't have any
experience with coda at all.

A good friend of mine evaulated Constant Data's product to replicate
data from Connecticut to India, and was very impressed with how
configurable it was, and how well it worked.

Jeff