Re: Dynamic DNS.

At 15:29 9/30/2003, you wrote:
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:21:23PM +0000, pottee@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Speaking of "far from the correct way to do things", right now I'm using Cron!
I use the zoneclient script [...]

Just for another data point, I'm using DynDNS at www.dyndns.org and I use the ddclient software found on Freshmeat to keep my dynamic IP address up to date. DynDNS has been great for about two years now (please, if you really like their service, pay them something so they stay alive instead of just mooching forever), and the ddclient script is also very good.

It can get its info from bunches of stuff including various makes/models of routers... but in my case since I'm on ISDN dial-up, I just have it check the ppp0 IP address every five minutes and update the DynDNS servers if it has changed.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx