Re: OS Desktop Business Model?

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 10:54:46PM -0700, bruce wrote:

> my $0.02 worth..and i don't normally follow this group/thread.... for
> linux to compete/succeed against windows/msoft on the desktop... there
> needs to be a rock solid office set of apps... for 20% of the price...
>
> then you would see msoft fall like a rock... if oracle put in a $1
> billion, and sun gave their star office app, and then a huge open
> source app was create with the star office/funds as a start... within
> 12-18 months you'd put a dent in msoft....

I honestly think the desktop is pretty much there right now. For
ordinary office stuff a good distribution like Redhat and OO.o, mozilla,
evolution, etc. are more than enough for most office workers.  And they
don't cost 20% of Windows + Office, they're free. It's old hat to us,
but your average clueless user (and IT manager) either doesn't know you
can get better software for nothing, or else believes it must be bad
because it's free.  I've run into this over and over.

What I think will happen is more people will realize that paying $600 or
more for an OS and office suite of dubious quality is ludicrous,
especially when the net allows for much lower production and
distribution costs. Microsoft et al are responding by trying to grab
control of the PC hardware platform to prevent interoperability, etc.,
but I believe they will fail. Eventually even average users will
understand that it's better for them to control what happens on their
computers rather than some remote, Palladium-enabled corporate interest.
If the open PC hardware platform manages to survive this serious threat,
it's game over. Commodity software will rule the world and the huge
commercial software houses will have to adapt or die.