Re: OS Desktop Business Model?

Ed Wilts:
>What makes you think that Red Hat has given up on the desktop? There is
>the current RHEL WS line although I will agree that for the home user,
>this doesn't compete with Windows for pricing.

Well, we all know now that the Red Hat Linux boxed set was not profitable..
It seems to me that WS is enterprise-oriented, as people would hardly pay
that kind of cash _for support_ without being in a work environment..

>I believe that we will soon see Red Hat make a push back into the SOHO
>market with a new boxed product that will be very competitive against
>Windows (financially)...  It would not surprise me to see a big push
>into other markets with this product with large bulk discounts.

I hope so - the price would have to be really good, that with people being
able to download updates for free from whatever more stable repository that
arises based on Fedora, use other distributions, etc. Or they would have to
come up with something else.

Jeff Wimmer:
>now contract with Xi Graphics for their
>DeXtop CDE desktop and integrate that into RedHat, or become partners with
>the OpenGroup.org people for the licensing and do it themselves, and I
think
>at a reasonable price and marketed correctly with Openoffice, they'll have
>desktop that competes hands down with Windows.

The question remains.. what would home users pay good money for, being able
to copy it from their neighboors and get updates for free? Do we have a
profitable, attractive support model, or anything else, for them?

--
Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto