Re: Mount new disk...

On 04 Oct 2003 18:33:56 +0100
Paula Fernandes <paula@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sáb, 2003-10-04 at 17:03, Klaus Zahradnik wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 04:44:38PM +0100, Paula Fernandes wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi list,
> > >

> > > I need to mount a disk with a windows system to recover some
> > > files from the disk. I plug it into the secondary IDE has slave.
> > >
> > > I have created a new directory this way:
> > >
> > > mkdir /mnt/alf
> > >
> > > Then I try to mount the disk this way:
> > >
> > > mount /dev/hdd /mnt/alf
> > >
> > > And I get this answer: /dev/hdd is not a valid block device
> > >
> > > Then I try /dev/hdd0 and hdd1, and the answer still the same.
> > Are you sure hdd is the right device?
> > Do you see the drive in with 'cat /proc/devices' ?
> > >

> WELL, I GET A BIG LIST. AT BLOCK DEVICES I GET THIS:
>
> 1 ramdisk
> 2 fd
> 3 ide0
> 9 md
> 12, 14, 38 and 39 unnamed
> 22 ide1
>

> > > Do I need to give any other instruction the the mount command?
> > Usually not. Mount complains about a device which isn't there.

   Assuming that you have the disk installed as a slave on the
secondary IDE, do:

                      fdisk -l /dev/hdd

to see a listing of the partitions on hdd and the partition's IDs. You
can then mount the partition you want to use.
  A 'man mount' will give you the particulars on options for mounting
most filesystems.

                                                      Best,

                                                      Tom