[Rocky (RHEL clone)] can't login/chroot

I started with *BSD UNIX and Slackware GNU/Linux in 1997 but tried RedHat
GNU/Linux that year and roughly in the '0s.  Recently I installed Rocky
GNU/Linux (considered successor of CentOS GNU/Linux) and tried to chroot
in from Slackware but got the following
error message.

    chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Permission denied

Someone on libera Internet Relay Chat (IRC) #rocky said boot it with
selinux=disabled, which I did (I entered GRUB2 menu and put that parameter
after a space at end of line that said linux).  When I rebooted to
Slackware, nothing had changed (same error message chrooting in).
    A weird thing happened when I actually booted Rocky: when I typed my
username into the login prompt it had a few <TABs> or many spaces
afterwards and looked sort of like the following (after typing username).

    login:        root

Then it was unable to login with the password I had set.  Looks like
something went wrong with I/O, though all other (over 10) OS (mostly UNIX/
GNU/Linux) on my PC don't have this problem.  Of course, I also had a
user/wheel account but didn't try that yet--do I need to do this to
activate 'selinux=disabled'?  I hope RedHat hasn't--on enterprise GNU/
Linux also used as servers--disabled root login, which traditional system
administrators (sysadmins) since UNIX days tend to use rather than just
'sudo'/'doas'.