Re: Observation on NOHZ_FULL

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 12:06:49PM +0100, Uladzislau Rezki wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 02:17:22AM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 07:58:18AM +0100, Andrea Righi wrote:
> > > Hi Joel and Paul,
> > >
> > > comments below.

> > > That was the result of a quick test, so I expect it has some fuzzyness
> > > in there.
> > >
> > > It's an average of 10 runs, it was bare metal (my laptop, 8 cores 11th
> > > Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1195G7 @ 2.90GHz), *but* I wanted to run the
> > > test with the default Ubuntu settings, that means having "power mode:
> > > balanced" enabled. I don't know exactly what it's doing (I'll check how
> > > it works in details), I think it's using intel p-states IIRC.
> > >
> > > Also, the system was not completely isolated (my email client was
> > > running) but the system was mostly idle in general.
> > >
> > > I was already planning to repeat the tests in a more "isolated"
> > > environment and add details to the bug tracker.

> > > Could be, but, again, the balanced power mode could play a major role
> > > here.

> > > Interesting, another benefit to add to my proposal. :)

> > Just to emphasize...
> >
> > The above calculations show that your measurements are close to what you
> > would expect if scheduling-clock interrupts took longer than one would
> > expect.  Here "scheduling-clock interrupts" includes softirq processing
> > (timers, networking, RCU, ...)  that piggybacks on each such interrupt.
> >
> > Although softirq makes the most sense given the amount of time that must
> > be consumed, for the most part softirq work is conserved.  which suggests
> > that you should also at the rest of the system to check whether the
> > reported speedup is instead due to this work simply being moved to some
> > other CPU.
> >
> > But maybe the fat softirqs are due to some debugging option that Ubuntu
> > enabled.  In which case checking up on the actual duration (perhaps
> > using some form of tracing) would provide useful information.  ;-)
> >
> As a first step i would have a look at perf figures what is going on
> during a test run. For such purpose the "perf" tool can be used. As a
> basic step it can be run in a "top" mode:
>
> perf top -a -g -e cycles:k
>
> Sorry for the noise :)

Yep, I'm planning to do better tests and collect more info (perf,
bpftrace). Also making sure that we don't have some crazy debugging
config enabled in the Ubuntu kernel, as correctly pointed by Paul. But
first of all I need to repeat the tests in a more isolated environment,
just to make sure we're looking at reasonable numbers here.

Thanks,
-Andrea