Re: RAID-10 near vs. RAID-1

Piergiorgio Sartor <piergiorgio.sartor@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> As far as I know, but please correct me if
> I'm wrong, a Linux md RAID-10 *near* layout,
> with 2 devices, has identical data distribution
> as a RAID-1 with 2 devices.
> Meaning the 2 devices are a mirror.

That's correct.

> The difference, if I understood it correctly,
> is that the RAID-10 has chunks, and hence stripes,
> while the RAID-1 does not have stripes.
> Furthermore, the read operation on RAID-10 are
> interleaved, delivering (for SSDs) double
> sequential read speed (for 2 devices), while
> the RAID-1 can handle two independent (one per
> device) read stream, each with single device
> reading speed.

No, since the layout is exactly the same as raid1, large sequential
reads can not be sent to both drives at the same time.

Now a two disk raid-10 in the offset or far layout however, does
interleave the data across the drives so they can both be read at the
same time to increase throughput.