Re: Requesting help recovering my array

Hello RJ and others,

On 27/01/2024 at 00:45, RJ Marquette wrote:
Quick follow up:  When I rebooted, the partition tables got munged
again.  Definitely a BIOS issue.

Today I came across a similar issue with a RAID1 array of two unpartitioned drives where the RAID superblock on one drive was overwritten with a GPT partition table at every boot, but the superblock on the other drive was not affected.

It turns out that the affected drive had remnants of a GPT partition table (protective MBR at the beginning of the drive and secondary GPT header and table at the end of the drive), whereas the unaffected drive did not.

After deleting the secondary GPT header and protective MBR with wipefs, the RAID superblock was not overwritten any more. So it seems that something, presumably the BIOS/UEFI firmware, found the secondary GPT table on the drive and decided to "restore" the missing primary GPT table.