Re: request for help on IMSM-metadata RAID-5 array

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:52:41 +0200
Joel Parthemore <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Den 2023-09-25 kl. 11:44, skrev Mariusz Tkaczyk:
>
> > Hi Joel,
> > sorry for late response, I see that you were able to recover the data!
>

> Yes. I just wanted to proceed as slowly and carefully as possible so
> that I would not make an awkward situation worse. ;-) The advice I got
> from the list gave me the assurance to go ahead.
>

> > I think that metadata manager is down or broken from some reasons.
> > #systemctl status mdmon@md127.service
>

> I forgot to say with my earlier post that I'm not running systemd but
> rather openrc. Gentoo supports both, and I have my reasons for
> preferring not to make the switch to systemd. Therefore...
>

> > I you will get the problem again, please try (but do not abuse- use it as
> > last resort!!):
> > #systemctl restart mdmon@md127.service
>

> ...That solution won't work. ;-)
>
> If I do have the problem again, maybe I can come to understand better
> how/why it's happening.

Ohh, ok. Please note that VROC solution is not validated with openrc and we
have userspace metadata manager, it requires to be careful even with systemd.
In this case native metadata is safer option because the metadata management is
done by kernel. But... you used this for years with no issues so I seems to be
not so bad. Anyway you can always try # mdmon -at to gentle ask metadata daemon
to fork and restart for every IMSM array in your system.

Mariusz