Re: how do i fix these RAID5 arrays?

On 26/11/2022 20:02, John Stoffel wrote:
Parity raid is still borken...

So why the hell are you recommending it?

I did say "so long as you don't do anything exotic". Raids 0 and 1 are apparently pretty rock solid, so long as you've actually GOT raid 1, see my comment about that!

The snapshot issue is supposedly fixed, but that's part of the disk full issue. I agree - it's crazy you can't drop a snapshot to recover disk space if the disk fills up - hell that should have been one of the FIRST things to be made rock solid, not one of the last!

But I do get the impression that btrfs is finally, provided you avoid all the EXPERIMENTAL (which is most of them :-) features is a decent file system.

Unfortunately, it seems to be typical in the linux world, you have a feature which is broken (alsa, ext4, sysVinit, zfs licence etc), and when somebody tries to design and write a decent replacement, the distros push it out into the "stable distro" world before it's ready. And so decent systems get a bad rep while in beta (or even alpha) through no fault of the person/team writing them. Mind you, most of btrfs is still alpha :-)

And no. The only place I use it is where it's the SUSE default. Not even there, maybe, I think it uses it for /home and I share that between distros ...

Cheers,
Wol