Re: how do i fix these RAID5 arrays?

On 24/11/2022 21:10, David T-G wrote:
I don't want to try BtrFS.  That's another area where I have no experience,
but from what I've seen and read I really don't want to go there yet.

Btrfs ...

It's a good idea, and provided you don't do anything esoteric it's been solid for years.

It used to have a terrible reputation for surviving a disk full - at a guess it needs some disk space to shuffle its btree to recover space - and a disk-full situation borked the garbage collection.

Raid-1 (mirroring) by default only mirrors the directories, the data isn't mirrored so you can easily still lose that ... (they call that user misconfiguration, I call it developer arrogance ...)

Parity raid is still borken...

At the end of the day, if you want to protect your data, DON'T rely on the filesystem. There are far too many cases where the developers have made decisions that protect the file system (and hence computer uptime) at the expense of the data IN the filesystem. I don't give a monkeys if the filesystem protects itself to enable a crashed computer to reboot ten seconds faster, if the consequence of that change is my computer is out of action for a day while I have to restore a backup to re-instate the integrity of my data !!!

Cheers,
Wol