Re: About the md-bitmap behavior

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 3:33 PM NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > RAID56 the underlying devices still need to go the regular RAID56 full
> > stripe scheme.
> >
> > Thus the btrfs RAID56 is still the same regular RAID56 inside one btrfs
> > RAID56 chunk, but without bitmap/journal.
> >
> > >  Because it would seem
> > > that if your data isn't necessarily in full stripes, then a bitmap might
> > > not work so well since it just marks a range of full stripes as
> > > "possibly dirty, we were writing to them, do a parity resync to make
> > > sure".
> >
> > For the resync part is where btrfs shines, as the extra csum (for the
> > untouched part) and metadata COW ensures us only see the old untouched
> > data, and with the extra csum, we can safely rebuild the full stripe.
> >
> > Thus as long as no device is missing, a write-intent-bitmap is enough to
> > address the write hole in btrfs (at least for COW protected data and all
> > metadata).
> >

> > > In any case, Wols is right, probably want to ping Neil on this.  Might
> > > need to ping him directly though.  Not sure he'll see it just on the
> > > list.
> > >

> > Adding Neil into this thread. Any clue on the existing
> > md_bitmap_startwrite() behavior?
>
> md_bitmap_startwrite() is used to tell the bitmap code that the raid
> module is about to start writing at a location.  This may result in
> md_bitmap_file_set_bit() being called to set a bit in the in-memory copy
> of the bitmap, and to make that page of the bitmap as BITMAP_PAGE_DIRTY.
>
> Before raid actually submits the writes to the device it will call
> md_bitmap_unplug() which will submit the writes and wait for them to
> complete.
>
> The is a comment at the top of md/raid5.c titled "BITMAP UNPLUGGING"
> which says a few things about how raid5 ensure things happen in the
> right order.
>
> However I don't think if any sort of bitmap can solve the write-hole
> problem for RAID5 - even in btrfs.
>
> The problem is that if the host crashes while the array is degraded and
> while some write requests were in-flight, then you might have lost data.
> i.e.  to update a block you must write both that block and the parity
> block.  If you actually wrote neither or both, everything is fine.  If
> you wrote one but not the other then you CANNOT recover the data that
> was on the missing device (there must be a missing device as the array
> is degraded).  Even having checksums of everything is not enough to
> recover that missing block.
>
> You must either:
>  1/ have a safe duplicate of the blocks being written, so they can be
>    recovered and re-written after a crash.  This is what journalling
>    does.  Or
>  2/ Only write to location which don't contain valid data.  i.e.  always
>    write full stripes to locations which are unused on each device.
>    This way you cannot lose existing data.  Worst case: that whole
>    stripe is ignored.  This is how I would handle RAID5 in a

Thanks Neil for explaining this. I was about to say the same idea, but
couldn't phrase it well.

md raid5 suffers from write hole because the mapping from array-LBA to
component-LBA is fixed. As a result, we have to update the data in place.
btrfs already has file-to-LBA mapping, so it shouldn't be too expensive to
make btrfs free of write hole. (no need for maintain extra mapping, or
add journaling).

Thanks,
Song