Re: About the md-bitmap behavior

On Mon, 2022-06-20 at 10:56 +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 20/06/2022 08:56, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> > > The write-hole has been addressed with journaling already, and
> > > this will
> > > be adding a new and not-needed feature - not saying it wouldn't be
> > > nice
> > > to have, but do we need another way to skin this cat?
> >
> > I'm talking about the BTRFS RAID56, not md-raid RAID56, which is a
> > completely different thing.
> >
> > Here I'm just trying to understand how the md-bitmap works, so that
> > can do a proper bitmap for btrfs RAID56.
>
> Ah. Okay.
>
> Neil Brown is likely to be the best help here as I believe he wrote a
> lot of the code, although I don't think he's much involved with md-
> raid
> any more.

I can't speak to how it is today, but I know it was *designed* to be
sync flush of the dirty bit setting, then lazy, async write out of the
clear bits.  But, yes, in order for the design to be reliable, you must
flush out the dirty bits before you put writes in flight.

One thing I'm not sure about though, is that MD RAID5/6 uses fixed
stripes.  I thought btrfs, since it was an allocation filesystem, didn't
have to use full stripes?  Am I wrong about that?  Because it would seem
that if your data isn't necessarily in full stripes, then a bitmap might
not work so well since it just marks a range of full stripes as
"possibly dirty, we were writing to them, do a parity resync to make
sure".

In any case, Wols is right, probably want to ping Neil on this.  Might
need to ping him directly though.  Not sure he'll see it just on the
list.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD