Re: Need to move RAID1 with mounted partition

On 4/20/2022 7:07 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 20/04/2022 à 13:08, Andy Smith wrote:

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 03:40:12AM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
The third partition on each drive is assigned as swap, and of
course it was easy to resize those partitions, leaving an
additional 512MB between the second and third partitions on each
drive.  All I need to do is move the second partition on each
drive up by 512MB.

I'd be tempted to just make these two new 512M spaces into new
partitions for a RAID-1 and move your /boot to that, abandoning the
RAID-1 you have for the /boot that is using the partitions at the
start of the disk.

I agree, unless the BIOS cannot read sectors at that offset.

Or you could create a RAID10 array with the 4 partitions if they have similar sizes.

	They don't. 'Not even close.

Or you could move /boot back into the / filesystem.

	I would rather not.

In either case, the BIOS restriction applies and you may need to reinstall the boot loader on both drives.

I did so just for safety. Whether it was actually needed or not, who knows?

Or you could try to reduce the required space in /boot :
- remove old kernels

I did that. It wasn't enough. Eventually I just moved the kernel files and created symlinks before completing the upgrade on one system. The other got the resize treatment.

- reduce initramfs size with MODULES=dep instead of MODULES=most in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

	I didn't try that.  It probably would have worked.

- remove plymouth if installed

	Nope.