Re: Need to move RAID1 with mounted partition

On 4/20/2022 6:08 AM, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 03:40:12AM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
The third partition on each drive is assigned as swap, and of
course it was easy to resize those partitions, leaving an
additional 512MB between the second and third partitions on each
drive.  All I need to do is move the second partition on each
drive up by 512MB.

I'd be tempted to just make these two new 512M spaces into new
partitions for a RAID-1 and move your /boot to that, abandoning the
RAID-1 you have for the /boot that is using the partitions at the
start of the disk. What would you lose? A couple of hundred MB?
Exchanged for a much easier life.

You could do away with the swap partitions entirely and use swap
files instead.

You could recycle the first partitions as swap, too.

Cheers,
Andy

Well, the idea is moot, since I have already moved the partitions. (It took less than 10 minutes.) Of course, I could do as you say, but I don't really see the advantages. How would my life be easier? I looked into swap files rather than partitions some time ago. I don't recall all the reasons, but I decided to keep the swap partitions.