Re: "md/raid:mdX: cannot start dirty degraded array."

Am 08.10.21 um 23:04 schrieb Wol:

I am running a server that runs a number of virtual machines and manages their virtual disks as logical volumes using lvmraid (so: indivdual SSDs are used as PVs for LVM; the LVs are using RAID to create redundancy and are created with commands such as "lvcreate --type raid5 --stripes 4 --stripesize 128 ...")

Ummm is there an lvm mailing list? I've not seen a question like this before - this list is really for md-raid. There may be people who can help but I've got a feeling you're in the wrong place, sorry.

Thank you very much - I'll try linux-lvm@xxxxxxxxxx.

In md terms, volumes have an "event count", and that error sounds like one drive has been lost, and the others do not have a matching event count. Hopefully that's given you a clue.

Yes, but it appears the event count is the same in all three (of originally four) surviving "metadata" blocks. If I understand the source code correctly, it's an __le64 at offset 0x10, which contains 0x0BCE in all of my _rmeta blocks.

With mdadm you'd do a forced assembly, but it carries the risk of data loss.

I'll try to do this; I can work on copies of the data volumes, therefore any data loss that could occur because of me using the wrong mdadm command can be undone by getting the original data back.

If I have any success, I'll reply to this e-mail so at least this part of the solution will be archived somewhere.

Kind regards

--
Andreas Trottmann
CTO