Re: My superblocks have gone missing, can't reassemble raid5

On 5/19/2021 9:20 AM, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 08:20:19AM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
1. Partitioning is not necessary.  Doing something that is not necessary is
not usually worthwhile.

I'm with you in that I prefer not to use partitions when I don't
need to.

However, there are many reports of people suffering corrupted disks
that ended up being due to their motherboard helpfully deciding that
if it sees a disk with no MBR nor GPT then it should create its own
at every boot.

     http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10174&title=asrock-motherboard-destroys-linux-software-raid

So to paraphrase the other fellow, "That is another reason not to use ASRock motherboards." Indeed, it is IMO a far better reason not to support ASRock than it is to spuriously employ partitions. Of copurse it is also just another reason to avoid Microsoft like the plague.

So, I'm not going to rail against anyone who prefer to always
partition.

I am not going to rail against anyone. They are their systems; they can do as they please with them. Indeed, it is they are who are suggesting I should do something, not the other way around. I suggest not doing it. Honestly, it is not a huge deal, either way.