Re: My superblocks have gone missing, can't reassemble raid5

On Mon, 17 May 2021 05:36:42 -0500
Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I look at my 1.2 block, the mdraid header appears to start at 4k, and
> the gpt partition table starts at 0x0000 and ends before 4k.
>
> He may be able to simply delete the partition and have it work.

Christopher wrote that he tried:

chris@ursula:~$ sudo /sbin/mdadm --verbose --assemble /dev/md0
/dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdb
mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted

I would have expected mdadm when passed entire devices (not partitions) to not
even look if there are any partitions, and directly proceed to checking if
there's a superblock at its supposed location. But maybe indeed, from the
messages it looks like it bails before that, on seeing "mbr metadata", i.e.
the enclosing MBR partition table of GPT.

--
With respect,
Roman