Question about mdcheck

This is on an Xubuntu 20.04 system.

I was wondering why I was occasionally seeing a "check" operation
occurring on my clean RAID1 mirrors.  Eventually I discovered the
checkarray and mdcheck scripts in /usr/share/mdadm.  It appears
that checkarray isn't used (is that correct?), but mdcheck is being
launched by /lib/systemd/system/mdcheck_start.service on the first
Sunday of each month.  I have a couple of questions?

1: Where do you look for the systemctl scheduling of services
like this?  Is there a cron-like scheduler?  The time for this needs
to be adjusted.

2: Why does mdcheck get a 6 hour run duration set?  Right now
it is starting a little after 8 AM, running until 2 PM and then check-
pointed and suspended.  On Monday at 9:10 AM it  continued due
to /lib/systemd/system/mdcheck_continue.service. It is running on
a 4TB raid that takes over 12 hours to complete, so why stop it
after 6 hours?  I'm certainly not getting any advantage to running in
off hours since it is starting at a really inappropriate time.

3: The process is really putting a load on the system and interfering
with other work.  Can the priority for this process be lowered so that
it doesn't consume so many resources?

4: How critical is the check operation?  Does it discover things that
the normal RAID operation misses?

Anything else I should know about all of this?

Thanks.
--
Jeffery Small