Re: Considering new SATA PCIe card

On 11/24/20 9:14 PM, Alex wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:47 PM Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/24/20 8:20 PM, Alex wrote:
Hi, I have a fedora33 server with an E31240 @ 3.30GHz processor with
32GB that I'm using as a backup server with 4x4TB 7200 SATA disks in
RAID5 and 2x480GB SSDs in RAID1 for root. The motherboard has two
SATA-6 ports on it and the others are SATA3.

Would there really be any benefit to purchasing a new controller such
as this for it instead of the onboard for the 4x4TB disks?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ST9CPND/

The server is relatively responsive, but I was just wondering if I
could keep it running for a few more years with a faster SATA
controller.

I'm also curious if the SATA cables have improved over time, or are
the same cables I purchased five years ago just as good today?
If plan to use addon cards, please consider LSI SAS9211-8i cards. Well
supported and reliable.
Oh yes, how quickly I forgot. I actually have one of these in another
server, but I think it's too long to physically fit in the case. Just
to be sure, this is the card you're referencing, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9211-8i-8-port-6G-IT-Raid-Card-ZFS-JBOD-HBA-SAS-SATA6-0-2008-8I/143735992677
Yes. Any one of those that mentions this controller and preferably IT (just HBA) firmware instead of IR (Raid) firmware as your raid will be implemented as SW mdraid over JBOD.

Regards
Ramesh