Re: Considering new SATA PCIe card

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:47 PM Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/24/20 8:20 PM, Alex wrote:
> > Hi, I have a fedora33 server with an E31240 @ 3.30GHz processor with
> > 32GB that I'm using as a backup server with 4x4TB 7200 SATA disks in
> > RAID5 and 2x480GB SSDs in RAID1 for root. The motherboard has two
> > SATA-6 ports on it and the others are SATA3.
> >
> > Would there really be any benefit to purchasing a new controller such
> > as this for it instead of the onboard for the 4x4TB disks?
> > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ST9CPND/
> >
> > The server is relatively responsive, but I was just wondering if I
> > could keep it running for a few more years with a faster SATA
> > controller.
> >
> > I'm also curious if the SATA cables have improved over time, or are
> > the same cables I purchased five years ago just as good today?
> If plan to use addon cards, please consider LSI SAS9211-8i cards. Well
> supported and reliable.

Oh yes, how quickly I forgot. I actually have one of these in another
server, but I think it's too long to physically fit in the case. Just
to be sure, this is the card you're referencing, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9211-8i-8-port-6G-IT-Raid-Card-ZFS-JBOD-HBA-SAS-SATA6-0-2008-8I/143735992677