Re: Config option for removing bbl on assembly?

Hi Roy,

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:58:45PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> …or just remove the whole bbl, since it has virtually no function
> and didn't even have it when it was introduced 10 years ago.

Yes, I saw your recent thread on the subject, and the others going
back years, and it did motivate me to think more about this.

I haven't seen an opinion from the current maintainers but I read that
Neil Brown thought it should not be removed but instead the bugs
should be found and fixed. So there doesn't seem to be any prospect
of this feature being removed.

Given that, and that there is a config option to disable it, I was
hoping it would be deemed less controversial to also have a way to
remove on next (incremental) assembly.

If you can't have your first choice of having the feature removed,
would you support that?

As an aside, I'm having a devil of a game trying to get the Debian
installer to let me use "CREATE bbl=no". Not only does
debian-installer use a config file at /tmp/mdadm.conf, but it
appears to constantly rewrite it every time you enter the MD
configuration section, so realistically it seems that the only way
to create arrays without a bbl is to do it manually from the d-i
shell.

    https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2020/09/msg00074.html

Cheers,
Andy