Re: Best way to add caching to a new raid setup.

On 20/08/28 22:39, Ram Ramesh wrote:
On 8/28/20 12:46 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 21:31:07 -0500
Also my impression is that LVM has more solid and reliable codebase, but
bcache might provide a somewhat better the performance boost due to caching.

Thanks for the info on bcache. I do not think it will be my favorite. I am going to try LVM cache as my first choice. Note that the new disks will be spare disks for some time and I will be able to try out a few things before deciding to put it into use.

I had some _very nasty_ adventures with LVM's cache, that ended with rather massive corruption at the end of the last year. I described it in:

https://github.com/lvmteam/lvm2/issues/26

though not much from that was answered or commented, except confirmation that flushing issue was fixed.

At the same time I have yet to have bcache failing on me (and it - so far flawlessly - did survive kernel panics (bugged nic drivers) and disks dying).

YMMV of course, just _make sure_ to have backups. And make sure to test it thoroughly in your setup (including things like hard reset).