Re: RAID types & chunks sizes for new NAS drives

On 23 Jun 2020, John Stoffel told this:

> You also don't say how *big* your disks will be, and if your 5 bay NAS
> box can even split like that, and if it has the CPU to handle that.
> Is it an NFS connection to the rest of your systems?

Side note: NFSv4 really is much much better at this stuff than v3 ever
was. With a fast enough network connection, I find NFSv4 as fast for
more or less all workloads as NFSv3 was, mostly because of the lease
support in v4 allowing client-side caching of the vast majority of files
and directories that are either not written to or only written to by one
client in a given short time window. (Obviously it also helps if your
network is fast enough: 1GbE is going to be saturated many times over by
a RAID array of any but the slowest modern HDDs. 10GbE and small
10GbE-capable switches are not very costly these days and is definitely
worth investing in on the NFS server and any clients you care about.)