Re: disks & prices plus python

On 21/05/20 14:17, David T-G wrote:
> % So if you really want to use them in a raid array, I'd go for a 6TB
> % raid-10. Okay, you've lost 3TB of disk space, but you've bought a
> % 66% chance of surviving a 2-disk failure.
>
> Heh.  Except that this box has only three ports, so one was going to
> become USB storage or some such anyway.  But that means I can't have a
> RAID10 vol ...

Three SATA ports? That sounds very stingy! (Or is it four, but one's the
DVD?)

This is what I've bought for my new PC
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-Express-eSATA-Controller-Silver-Black/dp/B00952N2DQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_47?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2B248DH9763DDGHGN5A6

An expensive gaming mobo, with 6 SATA ports, but if I want NVMe, or a
second graphics card, or whatever whatever, some of the lanes get taken
away. And of course I do want a 2nd graphics card (this machine is
destined to be double-headed, when I can get it to work :-)

And then for my old system, I'm planning to buy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T8XNQT6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A32IGEZ3DX93HZ&psc=1

or something similar. That machine has 5 SATA ports (or only 4 if
PATA-mode is enabled), and I'm planning to stick a bunch of 500GB or 1TB
drives in it for playing with. So especially if I split the 1TB drives
into 500GB partitions, that's some humungous raids for testing with :-)

Cheers,
Wol