Re: disks & prices plus python (was "Re: failed disks, mapper, and "Invalid argument"")

Wol, et al --

...and then Wols Lists said...
%
% On 21/05/20 12:01, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > ...and then Wols Lists said...
% > %
% > %
% > % Seagate Barracudas :-(
% >
% > Yep.  They were good "back in the day" ...
%
% Still are. Just not for raid..

Oh!  Well, that's nice to know.  Of course, I had been hoping to move
these out to another system after upgrading to larger, but maybe that's
not an option :-(  They are going to be worlds better than the existing
crap drives in there now, though, so here's hoping I can put them to use.

% >
% > % recovery. Plan to replace them with ones that do ASAP!
% >
% > That would be nice.  I actually have wanted for quite some time
% > to grow these from 4T to 8T, but budget hasn't permitted.  Got any
% > particularly-affordable recommendations?
%
% 8TB WD Reds are still CMR and okay AT THE MOMENT. I wouldn't trust them
% though (or make sure you can RMA them if they've changed!)

Thanks!

%
% I haven't heard of Ironwolves using SMR (yet).
%
% Looking quickly on Amazon
% WD Red 8TB                  £232
% Toshiba N300 8TB            £239
% Seagate Ironwolf 8TB        £260
% Seagate Ironwolf 8TB Silver £263 (optimised for raid it claims)
% WD Red 8TB Pro              £270
% Seagate Ironwolf 8TB Pro    £360

Ouch.  I sure hope they're cheaper over here!  Unfortunately, when I was
shopping I was looking at ... Barracudas :-/

%
% Given that the Red and the N300 are similar in price, I'd go for the
% N300. Bear in mind that I *never* see those drives mentioned here, I
% really don't know what they're like.

Thanks; I'll have a look.

%
% >
% > % rebuild, but I would VERY STRONGLY suggest you download lsdrv and get
% > % the output. The whole point of this script is to get the information you
% >
% > You mean the output that is some error and a few lines of traceback?
% > Yeah, I saw that, but I don't know how to fix it.  Another problem in the
% > queue.
%
% Last time I ran it, it was Python 2.7. I needed to edit the shebang
% line. I think Phil's fixed that.

I checked and I have 2.7 on this box, so I figure it would work.  But I
can barely spell Python, much less understand it.

Thanks again & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G