Re: Setup Recommendation on UEFI/GRUB/RAID1/LVM

On 20.04.20 13:05, Nix wrote:
Is there any reason why one could not have another entry for each disk (8 entries in this example in total instead of the 4 being
listed) like:

Boot000B* Current kernel HD(1,GPT,b6697409-a6ec-470d-994c-0d4828d08861,0x800,0x200000)/File(\efi\nix\old.efi)

and so on to support booting the old kernel in case something went wrong?

None! I have one entry each for old/stable kernel on the current disk,
but it just gets quite verbose and repetitive with six disks, and the
two (other disks, old kernels) serve different purposes: I'm going to
want to boot off another disk if the kernel works but something went
wrong with the disk, and I'm going to want to boot an old kernel if the
kernel has gone wrong, in which case probably the disk is fine and I can
just boot off the current disk. If I find when booting a new kernel that
it breaks the disk and I have to boot an old kernel off another disk,
I'll just use the EFI shell to do it. :)

I guess I got the idea. Need to dive deeper using EFI shell, but this sounds like a smart solution even there is no grub, managing the kernels, thanks.