Re: Setup Recommendation on UEFI/GRUB/RAID1/LVM

On 14.04.20 16:20, Wols Lists wrote:
okay. sda1 is vfat for EFI and is your /boot. configure sdb the same,
and you'll need to manually copy across every time you update (or make
it a v0.9/v1.0 raid array and only change it from inside linux - tricky)
If I would like to stay with my intial thought and use GRUB, does this mean, I have to have one native partition for the UEFI System Partition formated with vfat on each disk? If this works and I will create an raid array (mdadm --create ... level=1 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2) from these 2 partitions, will I still have the need to cross copy after a kernel update or not?

sda2 - swap. I'd make its size equal to ram - and as I said, same on sdb
configured in linux as equal priority to give me a raid-0.
Thanks for this tip, I would prefer swap and application safety which comes with raid1 in this case. Later I will try to optimize swappiness.

sda3 / sdb3 - the remaining space, less your 100M, raided together. You
then sit lvm on top in which you put your remaining volumes, /, /home,
/var/lib/mysql and /var/lib/images.
OK. Does this mean that I have to partition my both drives first and after that create the raid arrays, which will end in /dev/md0 for ESP (mount point /boot), /dev/md1 (swap), /dev/md2 for the rest?

What Partition Type do I have to use for /dev/sd[a|b]3? Will it be LVM or RAID?

Again, personally, I'd make /tmp a tmpfs rather than a partition of its
own, the spec says that the system should*expect*  /tmp to disappear at
any time and especially on reboot... while tmpfs defaults to half ram,
you can specify what size you want, and it'll make use of your swap space.
Agreed, no LV for /tmp.

Thanks,
Steffi