Re: How to assemble Intel RST Matrix volumes?

> On 10/22/19 10:51 PM, hhardly@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Here is the output you asked for, which shows does show the volumes. Any
>> further assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> I hadn't noticed earlier that you are using copies of the original disks.
> The
> issue with this is that the disks' serial numbers are stored in the
> metadata.
> You can see that in the output from "mdadm -E". Mdadm doesn't recognize a
> disk
> as an array member if its serial number does not match with what is in the
> metadata.
>
> Can you use the original disk to assemble the array and keep the copy as
> backup? Then you can rebuild the array and later replace this disk with
> another
> one if you want.

That makes sense. However, using the original physical drive, I get the
same result. I'm perplexed.  Here's the same result after trying assembly
with --scan

# IMSM_NO_PLATFORM=1 mdadm --incremental --run -v /dev/md/imsm0
mdadm: /dev/md/imsm0 is not part of an md array.

Here are the relevant lines from letting --scan do the assembly of the
container, in case that gives a hint ("no correct container type"
interesting?). What else could I do?

# IMSM_NO_PLATFORM=1 mdadm --assemble -e imsm -v --scan
mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
.
.
.
mdadm: /dev/sdc is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
mdadm: added /dev/sdc to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
mdadm: Container /dev/md/imsm0 has been assembled with 1 drive
mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
.
.
.
mdadm: /dev/md/imsm0 is a container, but we are looking for components
mdadm: no correct container type: /dev/md/imsm0

I also tried with the bad physical drive and it had the same result. Then
I attached both of the original drives and still no luck. The only
difference was:

mdadm: /dev/sdd is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
mdadm: added /dev/sdd to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
mdadm: Container /dev/md/imsm0 has been assembled with 2 drives

But the volumes are still not assembled.