Re: Question about Intel RST, NVMe SSDs and mdadm

On 3/28/19 10:23 PM, Raphaël Halimi wrote:
> So my question is simple : do you think it's a bug in mdadm, the kernel
> RAID driver, or the motherboard firmware ?

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer or easy fix for this. Intel RST
is not supported (officially) on Linux, only RSTe/VROC is, but since the
RAID metadata format is generally the same, RST RAID usually just works
with mdadm.

The problem here is that enabling RAID mode in the BIOS causes that the
drives are not visible. When in RAID mode, the PCH PCIe ports for NVMe
drives are hidden and NVMe registers are remapped under the AHCI BAR.
The standard Linux nvme and ahci drivers can't handle that. There had
been some patches proposed to make this work but they did not get
accepted. You can try to apply them and rebuild your kernel:

https://marc.info/?l=linux-ide&m=147709610621480&w=2

Or you can disable RAID mode and export IMSM_NO_PLATFORM=1 for mdadm.
Your array should assemble in Linux. The downside: Windows will not see
the RAID. You will have to enable RAID mode every time before booting to
Windows...

Regards,
Artur