Question about Intel RST, NVMe SSDs and mdadm

Hi,

I recently acquired an Asus Z390M-Pro Gaming motherboard, to replace my
old desktop rig. I'm no gamer but I chose this motherboard for all the
equipment it provides (USB 3.1 gen 1 and 2, USB type C, 6 SATA ports, 2
M.2 ports, etc etc).

As its name suggests, it's equipped with an Intel Z390 chipset, which
offers fake RAID through Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

In the BIOS, I enabled Intel RST and created a RAID 1 array with two
Samsung EVO 970 NVMe M.2 500 GB SSD disks.

Unfortunately, on a recent distro (Debian Buster installer alpha 5, with
mdadm v4.1-rc1 and kernel 4.19.12), the array is not found by the system.

It seems that the M.2 ports are not seen at all by mdadm :

-----%<-----
# mdadm --detail-platform

Platform : Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
Version : 16.5.0.3492
RAID Levels : raid0 raid1 raid10 raid5
Chunk Sizes : 4k 8k 16k 32k 64k 128k
2TB volumes : supported
2TB disks : supported
Max Disks : 15
Max Volumes : 2 per array, 4 per controller
I/O Controller : /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17:0 (SATA)
Port0 : - no device attached -
Port1 : - no device attached -
Port2 : - no device attached -
Port3 : - no device attached -
Port4 : - no device attached -
Port5 : - no device attached -
----->%-----

As you can see, only the 6 SATA ports are reported by mdadm, not the two
M.2 ports (on which the NVMe disks are connected).

I'd prefer to use Intel RST instead of software RAID because I intend to
also install Windows on this computer to play games from time to time,
and I'd like it to benefit from the RAID setup.

So my question is simple : do you think it's a bug in mdadm, the kernel
RAID driver, or the motherboard firmware ?

If the problem lies in mdadm or the kernel, it would be a hopeful
situation because I'm sure it will be fixed one day or the other, and
since I use Debian for 20 years now, I think I may be able to find my
way with a patch by creating a custom installer image. On the contrary,
if the problem lies in the motherboard, I won't be too hopeful; I know
Intel is quite cooperative with the OSS community, but I don't know
about Asus, and since some of their proprietary technologies (like Aura
Sync for example) are not supported at all on Linux, I guess they're
reluctant to release their specs, so I don't count on them to work on
this problem, let alone release a firmware upgrade only to fix this).

Please tell me there is hope :)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

--