Re: smart short test crashes software raid array?

On 10 Mar 2019, Adam Goryachev said:
> "My array freezes for 2 or 3 minutes every couple of weeks, usually I
> don't notice, but its a little annoying when I do. Anyone know why"

You probably would notice. A lot of the time the freeze would happen
when you were reading, which means whatever you were waiting for, you're
now going to wait for it for minutes. Any other reads from the same
array will pile up behind that one, and if that includes binaries you're
quite likely to end up with an apparently-frozen machine, kernel
hangcheck timer warnings, etc. (Heck, possibly even actual automatic
reboots from watchdog timer firings if that is one of the things that
ends up blocked trying to read a pidfile or something.)

When this happened to me on my desktop in times gone by an
apparently-frozen X server was common (it was blocked on core fonts
reads or paging or some X client that blocked in the middle of what was
*meant* to be an infinitesimally short server grab... and that failure
mode means that an X client on a remote server with RAID can trigger
this on your desktop if you're unlucky enough.)

Local filesystem storage does not normally -EINTR and is meant to
respond "effectively immediately". When it doesn't, bad things happen.
(Even a 7sec timeout is enough to be seriously noticeable.)

--
NULL && (void)