Re: Raid5 reshape stuck - md0 process hang

On 26/02/19 10:11, search@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If I take a look at top, there is a md0 process which is stuck at 100% cpu.
>
> Originally the system runs on xenserver 7.2 - I booted up a newer live disk of ubuntu 18.04 to look how the newer mdadm version does. - Same behaviour.

Seeing as no-one else has bitten, I'll do my best.

Firstly, what versions of mdadm? I don't recognise xenserver and I avoid
ubuntu ... not that that matters so long as it's 4.0 or 4.1.

I suspect failing the new disk may have been a mistake. I'm wary of
suggesting this, but the obvious route to me now is to try to get your
original array back with a --revert-reshape. If you've got the space,
you really need to do a backup before trying this.

Then, if it hangs again when you try adding another disk, just reboot
and the reshape should recognise it's incomplete and carry on where it
left off.

I'm hoping someone else more knowledgeable will chime in, because if
you've removed the new disk then you've now got an array with no
redundancy and I'd hate you to have a problem that loses all your data...

Cheers,
Wol