Re: My array won't assemble

On 20/12/18 08:10, Alexis BRENON wrote:
>> Setting to 7s return 0 as output code and smartctl now reports
>> > SCT Error Recovery Control:
>> >            Read:     70 (7,0 seconds)
>> >           Write:     70 (7,0 seconds)
>> > for all my Barracudas drives. Is smartctl kidding me ?
> Running the Brad Campbell's timeout script report all my Barracuda
> disks as good and all my WD as bad.

That's good to know. I've got Barracudas (3TB), and they were always
thought of as bad raid drives. I'll need to make sure.

> Now my question are:
> Is it safe to assemble my array with my old drives ?
> Or do I need to replace my sdb (which reports a read failure and has
> been last updated on 2018-12-08) and/or my sde (which do not report
> any SMART failure, but a lower event count)?
> Is it safe to run my array in Read only mode for some weeks, waiting
> for new drives delivery (probably a 0.5TB or 1TB WD Red)?
> Which wiki page to follow: Replacing a failed drive, Assemble run or
> Recovering a damaged RAID?

If you can run your raid, then it's "replacing a failed drive". I need
to write a page on SMART and whether drives are good or bad, but a read
error on its own isn't cause for worry. If the count of relocated
sectors starts climbing, that's when you worry.

If the array assembles and runs fine, then you're probably fine to do a
scrub (which will hopefully fix the read failure), then use the array
while you wait for a new drive(s) to replace the WDs.

Cheers,
Wol