Re: RAID1 sometimes have different data on the slave devices

Am 13.08.2018 um 18:45 schrieb Wol's lists:
> On 13/08/18 11:56, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> "Two threads writing with O_DIRECT io to the same address could result
>> in different data on the two devices" makes no sense - everything talks
>> with the RAID1 layer which is a block-device and expected to have alway
>> the same data on both mirrors - O_DIRECT don't bypass the RAID layer
>> because it even don't know about the phyiscal disks underneath
>>
>> if what ever workload (except a hard crash) leads to different data it's
>> a bug which should be fixed better sooner than later
>
> Sounds to me like it's worse than that - IN NORMAL OPERATION it sounds
> like it could return different data from different reads of the same
> section of the file!
>
> What's it called - "the principle of least surprise"?
>
> If I write to block 658 of the raid-1, then surely it should be written
> to block 658 (plus house keeping offset) of *both* underlying devices.
> Otherwise you need a translation layer to say which raid block is which
> device block on which raid device. Of course, that could be the
> bad-blocks layer.
>
> And if that translation layer is messed up, then you get a corrupt raid.
>
> That's a point, though. Does the raid we are discussing have a bad
> blocks layer?

"we" don't discuss a specific existing RAID

i am simly shocked that people try to tell that there are normal OS
operations far away from bad drives which may result in both pairs of a
RAID1 don't contain the same data

when i read something like "It might be expected behaviour with async
direct IO. Two threads writing with O_DIRECT io to the same address
could result in different data on the two devices" makes me somehow puke
because when that is true mariadb with "innodb_flush_method = O_DIRECT"
may read back different data after one of the two or more RAID1 devices
fails which is the opposite RAID1 is used for