Re: RAID1 sometimes have different data on the slave devices

Am 11.08.2018 um 11:20 schrieb Danil Kipnis:
> In the attachment you can find a script that compares md5 sum of a
> _file_ on top of ext4 on top of raid on each leg after running fio.
> You will see that after a couple of minutes the file itself where fio
> is writing to, becomes different on both legs, because ext4 enforced
> consistency of its metadata, but not data inside files.
>
> What we see is that consistency of raid1 is lower as that of a single
> disk, as per definition of raid1. Raid1 itself can't prevent writes to
> be reordered inside its legs/disks. The only way for an application to
> enforce ordering is wait for each write to return, journaling,
> barriers, etc. Am I right?

i still don't get it:

DIRECT_IO and whatever - on the md-layer i see no single valid reason
that there is a difference on disk as long there was no hard crash on
the machine

i also must not matter if ext4 has writeback enabled becahsue ext4 rites
something to the blockdevice below or not and anything above is the
md-layer which is the only one knowing how much disks are pyhiscally
involved

or to say it short:
it must not matter if DIRECT_IO or some filesystem optimizations are in
place - the block-layer reperesented by mdraid is one layer below all of
that