Re: PCIe SATA controllers

On 09/08/18 19:23, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just purchased an Asus Z370-A motherboard to replace my older
> desktop board. It includes 6 SATA6 ports but I need a few more.
>
> Do you have any recommendations?
>
> All the regular controllers I've found are PCIe v2.0 and most are x1.
> Is that even fast enough for 6mbs? Is the 3.0 standard just not widely
> adopted yet?
>
> This one looks reasonable. Any reason to think it wouldn't work with
> Linux? It's also v2.0
> https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-8-port-Controller-SI-PEX40071/dp/B00ESFEI2E/

Do you need that number of ports? I tried to find that but it doesn't
seem to be available on amazon.co.uk. I found this 4-port instead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IO-Crest-4-Port-mSATA-Adapter/dp/B01LG95O7W/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1533853608&sr=8-19&keywords=IO+Crest+SATA+III

> I've always used md instead of hardware RAID, but is there any
> advantage to the controllers with some amount of onboard cache? I
> would then need the breakout cables to SATA.
> https://www.amazon.com/LSI-Logic-SAS9260-8I-8PORT-512MB/dp/B002IT4YG2/
>
> I currently have this Intel SATA controller. Are the ones I've listed
> above faster/better than this onboard?
> 00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA
> controller [AHCI mode] (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
>
> Anyone remember the Hardware-Compatibility-HOWTO? :-)
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

The one I'm thinking of getting for myself is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-eSATA-Express-Controller-Adapter/dp/B003N3FP2O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509064081&sr=8-7&keywords=pcie+sata+controller

But that is because I want the eSATA to attach an external cage for
copying etc.

Note that I don't have experience of either - they're in my plans for
"tomorrow", whenever that arrives :-)

Cheers,
Wol