Re: Help / advice RAID5 Inactive

On 02/08/18 10:13, Jonathan Milton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Overnight my server had problems with its RAID5 (xfs corrupt inodes), on
> reboot the raid comes up inactive.
>
> * Smarttools suggest disks (3x2TB) are healthy. I have powered down and
> checked all the SATA leads are still plugged correctly.
>
> * MDADM is unable to assembled to raid from 1 drive:
> # mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1
> mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 1 drive - not enough to start the array.
>
> * Event counts are well off on one drive ( 290391/182871/290391)

Not good.

> * SCT Error Recovery Control was disabled on all drives prior to this
> failure but I have since modified the boot scripts to set to 7s as per
> the wiki (no improvement)
>
> I am considering whether to try --force and would like advice from
> experts first

NOT WITHOUT A BACKUP!

> Thanks in advance

That "only one drive" bothers me. Have you got any spare drives? Have
you any spare SATA ports to upgrade to raid-6?

I'd ddrescue the two drives with the highest count (is that sda and
sdd?), then force assemble the copies. That stands a good chance of
succeeding. If that works, you can add back the third drive to recover
your raid-5 - keeping the original two as a temporary backup.

If you can't get spare drives, overlay the two good drives then see if a
force gets you a working array. If it does, then you can try it without
the overlay, but not having a backup increases the risk ...

Then add one of the original drives back to convert to raid-6.

The event counts make me suspect the middle drive got booted long ago
for some reason, then you've had a hiccup that booted a second drive.
Quite likely if you didn't have ERC enabled. So it does look like an
easy fix but because you've effectively got a broken raid-0 at present,
the risk to your data from any further problem is HIGH. Read

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid#When_Things_Go_Wrogn

If you don't have any spare SATA ports, go and buy something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00952N2DQ/ref=twister_B01DUJJZ8U?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

You want a card with one SATA *and* one eSATA - beware - I think most of
these have a jumper to switch between SATA *or* eSATA so you'll want a
card that claims two of each - it will only actually drive two sata
devices so configure one port for SATA for your raid-6, and one for
eSATA so you can temporarily add external disks ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iDsonix-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Free-Black/dp/B00L3W0F40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529780418&sr=8-1&keywords=eSATA%2Bdisk%2Bdocking%2Bstation&th=1

Not sure whether you can connect this with an eSATA port-multiplier
cable - do NOT run raid over the USB connection !!!

Cheers,
Wol