Re: Reduce resync time by keeping track of referenced blocks

Il giorno lun 9 lug 2018 alle ore 15:01 Michael Niewöhner
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> I think both problems can be solved by keeping track of used blocks by upper
> layer in a bitmap-like structure in metadata. That bitmap needs to be redundant
> just as the data. I don't know from memory if metadata is redundant or per-disk.
> raid-bitmap / write-intent bitmap does something like that but in-memory - we
> need our bitmap to be on disk(s).

Why not integrating extX and XFS (the most used FS in Linux) with mdadm ?
ext4, in example, is able to read the "badblock" output and create the
FS without using them.
Something similiar could be done with extX/XFS allowing the FS to
write the used blocks to a
dedicated area in the array