Re: Reduce resync time by keeping track of referenced blocks

On 7 July 2018 at 10:28, Michael Niewöhner <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> It would be really great to get similiar behaviour in linux raid. I'm currently
> trying to figure out how much work it would mean to implement this feature.
> I have never worked on linux raid source before so I may be completely wrong.
> Feel free to correct me.

Assuming I'm not wrong (user here, not dev) I thought that's what replace does?
# mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdNEW
# mdadm /dev/md0 --replace /dev/sdOLD --with /dev/sdNEW

If sdOLD accepts reads I thought this was pretty much "dd OLD NEW"
internally, the only hiccup being if sdOLD is really dying or full on
dead and then you need to recreate the data from parity.