Re: Question re: re-establishment of a raid-10 array

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 6:24 AM, Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29/04/18 03:42, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> Had some system issues and decided in the process of trying to repair
>> things that I would rather use my SSD (/dev/sdd) for my operating
>> system disk with the goal of improving performance. Up to this time
>> the raid-10 array had been working as expected so there are/were no
>> complaints nor issues.
>
> I can't see a "cat /proc/mdstat" in that list. It looks to me that the
> array might be assembled but not running - though why that should happen
> I haven't a clue.
>
> Try
>
> mdadm --stop /dev/md0
> mdadm --assemble --scan
>
> In other words, stop the array, and then let mdadm reassemble whatever
> it can find. Hopefully you'll either get a working array, or some useful
> error messages.

root@debianbase:/# mdadm --stop dev/md0
mdadm: Cannot open dev/md0
root@debianbase:/# mdadm --assemble --scan
root@debianbase:/# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid10] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6]
[raid5] [raid4]
md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid10 sdc1[5] sdf1[8] sde1[7] sdb1[4]
      1953518592 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices: <none>

Sorry - - - I thought I had included the $ cat /proc/mdstat in the
included information.

It may be that part of the issue is that grub is only sort of
controlling the boot. When its
uefi and on SSD things seem to be very murcky. I needed to use a
rEFInd so that I
could actually boot into something after the install (and it wasn't
only one install either)
so my guess is that the relationship between grub and mdadm is
different when its a
pure efi/boot kind of situation. A friend found something else besides
grub as a boot loader
(no not lilo either) that he thinks will work even better but this is
my main working machine
so I need to get the work stuff going.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dee