Re: 4tb NAS drive recommendation

Hello,

I'd stay away from Toshiba and Intenso drives, which are just overlabled
Toshiba drives at least here in Europe. They are extremly loud and get
quite hot compared to WD and Seagate.

And be careful with Seagate ST4000DM00X. The -0 are good drives, but the
-3 is a SMR (shingled magnetic recording) drive. At least for raid6 they
don't work. A friend of mine has two and they are kicked out of the
array on a regular basis. I don't know what kind of technology the -6
uses and I don't know if they might work in a Raid1 setup. At least for
raid6 SMR drives don't seem to work.

I personally don't use ERC-capable drives and increase the timeout in
/etc/rc.local for each drive:
echo 180 > /sys/block/sdX/device/timeout

I run a ten drives raid6 based on 4 tb drives and had no problems so
far. I have a lot of WD Green and cheap Seagates. To me raid means
random array of inexpensive drives, so I see no point in buying
expensive WD REDs. Keep in mind: A two disk raid1 with the cheapest,
crappiest drives is still much saver than one single expensive disk,
because any disk can fail. Two premium drives in a raid1 is a waste of
money in my opinion.

For a private living room setup I would consider 5600 rpm drives. They
are much quieter than 7200 rpm drives.

Here the drive models I use:
WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0
ST4000DM000-1F2168