Re: Automatically start two-level mdadm RAID arrays (i.e. RAID 60) on boot?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Sean,
>
> In message <CAA43vkW82nJXmwo7=HAhO+shx_Obak_tm7Vy0EKWW+HWW6brnw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>>
>> As it is now, we just populate /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf ARRAY lines with
>> the output of mdadm --examine --scan after building all the RAID 6
>> strings and the top level RAID 0 container. This gives the result
>> where the RAID 0 containers are the last lines in the file, after all
>> the RAID 6 strings. For example, on a machine with RAID 6 strings
>> md0...4 and RAID 0 string md5 (containing md0...md4), we have
>> mdadm.conf contents like:
>
> Just in case it is not clear (you didn't mention you did): after
> generating /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf you _must_ also rebuild the
> initramfs image for your running kernel, so the new mdadm.conf gets
> included there, where it is actually needed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

We always run update-initramfs -c -v -k "<kernelver>" after generating
the mdadm.conf file as part of our build procedure. The Ubuntu package
manager also kicks off a triggered update-initramfs every time a new
version of linux-image-generic is installed, so it's included on
subsequent kernel updates. I feel like none of the arrays would start
if mdadm.conf were not included in the initrd?

Best,

Sean