Re: Automatically start two-level mdadm RAID arrays (i.e. RAID 60) on boot?

On 16/02/18 11:53, Brad Campbell wrote:
On 16/02/18 10:17, Sean Caron wrote:

It's interesting that everyone has reported nested mdadm arrays
starting automatically. Is there something special in mdadm.conf to
enable this? I was starting to suspect mdadm only does a single pass
when trying to auto-start arrays, but everyone's reports make me
wonder if I'm just not configuring something quite right.

I've just checked onne of my Ubuntu 14 VMs and it still uses initramfs-utils. Try this :

Boot with break=top on the kernel cmd line. That'll drop you into the initramfs at the point where all your modules should be loaded but the scripts in /scripts/local-top/ haven't been executed yet. You can then run them manually (in the order specified in the ORDER file). Run the mdadm script with sh -x mdadm and watch what it does.

Actually, before you try that make sure /etc/default/mdadm has :

INITRDSTART='all'

in it.

Brad