Re: USB-to-SATA and RAID

Based on my experience most motherboards only have 2 or 3 actual usb
ports, and all of the others ports are off a hub connected to the real
ports.   And if you put more than one high bandwidth device on the
same port then things get really ugly if both devices are being
heavily used.  Most add-on cards also only have 1 port, if you look
hard enough you can find cards with 2-4 real ports.   I have one that
has 4 actual real ports, and worked reasonably well for several
webcams, but I believe this one was the only one on the market that
had 4 ports and was reasonably cheap.   In general the sharing apears
to be the major issue so it is probably kind of related to the SATA
port multiplier issue since most usb ports are shared resources and
really a similar design, with similar issues.  I am guessing if you
put one usb disk per real usb port and did not plug anything else into
it it would probably work reasonably well, but to built out a setup
like that you might was well just build out an esata setup.